All Stacked Up - Week 5 - Quilt Top Assembly August 12 2019
Congratulations to Jan for winning a prize! Jan, please contact Sue at thimbles & things.
Here are some of the entries:
Marg Marion Crystal Dianne
You will need:
- the 25 sets of blocks
- sewing machine with ¼” foot, loaded with a neutral thread
- large design wall or cleared floor space
- erasable fabric marking pen, or slips of paper and pins
If you are making the smaller version (64” x 72”) follow steps #9 and #10 on page 6, and the diagram on page 7.
If you are making our larger version (64” x 80”) follow the steps below.
- Print the following PDF file to use as a quilt layout guide. The colours do not reflect the fabrics in your quilt. Adjusted Layout
- Choose your 3 favourite sets of squares and lay them out as shown. These will be blocks X, Y and Z.
- Trying to avoid having the same colours butting together, start building blocks around the above 3 blocks. In each case, one 8½” square will not be used. Set these extras aside for use in our bonus quilt.
- Keep building! There are 2 single 8½” squares used on the sides. Choose from the extras and slot them in.
- Walk away.
- When you come back to the project, critically look at your arrangement. Are similar colours well separated? Rearrange if necessary. Repeat the last 2 steps until you are satisfied.
- Mark the squares with an erasable fabric marking pen, or slips of pinned paper. The rows being A, B, C etc. and the columns being 1, 2, 3 etc. Therefore the top left corner square should have an A1 label and the bottom right a J8 label.
- Join squares to make 10 rows. Press seam allowances open.
- Join the rows. Press seam allowances open.
Congratulations your quilt top is done!
- Layer the quilt top, batting and backing.
- Quilt as desired.
- Apply the binding using your favourite method.
Time for another chance to win a prize! Guess how many bolts of Kaffe Fassett fabrics are on the shelves at thimbles & things today, August 12th.
Check back in on August 26th to get a free pattern for your extra squares and fabric!